By Renata Block, MMS, PA-C
I don’t know what it is, but something about January gives us the okay for a fresh start with everything in our lives. One thing many people vow to do is to take better care of themselves. At least I always do. Most importantly, people focus on “self-care,” which means eating better, exercising, and focusing on improving mentally, physically, and spiritually.
2020 has brought on new challenges and new ways we look at taking care of ourselves as a whole. Focusing on our lives’ mental aspects has been the theme during the pandemic and will continue to thrive in 2021. However, one trend uptick noted these past 12 months have been a more detailed routine and focus on skincare.
What better time than now to regroup on your skincare routine to ensure you are doing everything you can to keep your skin healthy from a professional perspective.
Here are FIVE Skin Care Steps you should not live without:
1. Finding the right cleanser. Not all facial cleansers are created equal when it comes to skin types. Did you know your skin has an acidic pH, and using alkaline cleansers (which are the majority out there) can strip your skin of the essentials needed for a healthy barrier?
2. Sunscreen even when you are indoors. Blue light has finally come to “light” after years of education provided by dermatologists across the country. The rise in zoom meetings resulted in more protection from visible and not visible light when indoors. Finally becoming aware that sitting by that window all day is damaging your skin if you don’t have the sunscreen.
3. Moisturizer! No matter what your skin type, a moisturizer is imperative for proper skincare and balance. Again, think about the barrier of your skin as your protector to the outside world. Is it healthy and in balance, because if it is not, it is an open invitation to infection.
4. Antioxidants come in various forms. My personal faves are in serums; the newest celebrity has been niacinamide, which helps with inflammation, but my ultimate fave is Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which can come in different strengths and formulations based on your skin type.
5. Retinols – are an anti-aging staple! With so many OTC retinol options available, it is an excellent start at any age. If you want to up the ante in your anti-aging game, make an appointment with your dermatologist for a prescription option.
Need some OTC guidance? We can offer that as well. Be seen virtually for FREE when you schedule a SKINtelligent consult with me, a Certified Physician Assistant. You will get a one-on-one session and discounts on medical-grade skincare.
Diva Tip: For the best skincare, make an appointment at your dermatology office to guide you to your skin type’s correct products. The Dermatology Clinic team may include the Physician, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practioner, who are all skilled in treating your dermatological care needs.
Renata Block is a Physician Assistant and Savvy Derm Diva’s creator, an online resource for proper skin care. Diva Chronicles is a monthly column discussing everything skin and beyond! Make sure you follow her on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter! Need a dermatology consult? Please visit Advanced Dermatology & Aesthetic Medicine, LLC, or Call/Text 847-802-9667 for a TeleDerm appointment. MUAH!????